Sunday, March 9, 2008

Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup


So I should be getting ready for Sunday Supper Club tonight, but instead I'm wandering around Whole Foods talking to special correspondent April, who just got back from New  York, where she ate at Chef Tom Colicchio's Craft and Chef Mario Batali's Otto pizzeria, so basically I hate her. April did not take her picture pinching super-hot Tom Colicchio's bum, even though her one mission for Table Talk while in New York was to do so and then bring the picture home so we could Photoshop ourselves into it. Jeez. Thanks a heap Special Correspondent April. 

Anyway, I need dried lavender for the Meyer Lemon cake I'm making for tonight, which I find in a small jar in the bulk spices department. I also pick up some toothpaste, in case you care. Mint. I also see a small boy stick a rather large olive from the olive bar up his nose. Once upon a time I used to be a kindergarten teacher so I felt pretty calm about the whole thing--small children are generally adept at eventually blowing those sorts of things back out after they calm down, but his unhappy mother was hyperventilating slightly.  

Moving on, I spy something that takes my breath away...Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup (www.wildhibiscus.com).  A wine clerk had tried to sell me some in a San Francisco Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago while I was in town for the SF Writer's Conference but I didn't buy any because it was Valentine's Day and my cart was already chock-full of pity chocolate and wine-for-one. Just kidding! I don't know why I didn't buy them, but I couldn't stop thinking about them once I'd returned home.  

I checked the Pearl Whole Foods a couple of times since but didn't see them, until today! They have their own small table near the dairy case, which they share with the Dry Soda display. (I love these: www.drysoda.com) After I ceased doing some hyperventilating of my own , I gently placed a jar of Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup on top of my basket full of...well, chocolate and wine, actually. At $11.99 a jar, these delicate posies are definitely a luxury item but each jar contains approximately 11 blooms, and really, the novelty value is priceless. Imagine--you place one of the dark pink blossoms in the bottom of a champagne flute and gently drown it in your bubbly of choice, creating a drink fit for the Louvre, really. Champagne art. The flower is edible too...it tastes of raspberry and rhubarb. I shall serve these exquisite drinks at Sunday Supper Club.  My sister will be so impressed...and a little jealous I think. 
--J
Served in a Riedel flute. Yes, I can hear your oohs and aahs from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment